Friday, December 12, 2008

Hugh Jackman to Host the Oscars


According to People Magazine, Hugh Jackman will host this year's Oscars. I hope this means we'll see him in a tuxedo and also his crazy Wolverine sideburns.

The choice surprised me initially, but after a little reflection I think Jackman could be a very fun host. He's handsome, he sings, he dances, he's comfortable in front of a live audience, and he's done work that appeals to male and female audiences.

Last weekend, I saw his new movie Australia with some friends and while it's definitely a very emotional, over-the-top film I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Hey, I'm a sap. And when Hugh Jackman saves a boat of children during the Japanese bombing of Darwin while wearing a skin-tight wet shirt, well, that works for me. Russell Crowe was originally cast as the Drover, and my friends and I all heartily agreed he would have been terrible. I don't want Russell Crowe to sweep me onto the back of his horse or stun a crowd by appearing in a white dinner jacket. Hugh Jackman, however, could do that any day.

No comments: