Friday, January 9, 2009

Christmas Gluttony

My most obvious sign of Christmas gluttony is the four or so extra pounds currently residing on my caboose, but secretly, I have been indulging heavily in the entertainments afforded by my brand new Xbox 360, courtesy of my brother and his girlfriend. Not only can you play violent video games with startling image clarity and the ability to drive drunk, you can download movies directly from Netflix and watch almost instantly. The selection on Netflix is mainly older films and those that you have never heard of or would never want to see anyway, but there are some really good ones in there too.

For instance, I had a mini Dustin Hoffman retrospective, watching
Tootsie
and Kramer vs. Kramer over a weekend and then serendipitously catching his interview on CBS Sunday Morning. And after years of meaning to watch Robert Redford's directorial debut, I got to see
Ordinary People
within minutes of realizing it was available to download.

For a pop culture and movie junkie like me, the Xbox is one of the best gifts ever.

No comments: